Saturday, May 1, 2010

45 and counting

Today I celebrated my 45th birthday with a trip to the Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, followed by a leisurely stroll through Ft. Greene with my wife and a trip back home. It was a quiet day in honor of a life which has become a bit more sedate but no less interesting.  While age has its drawbacks - I am still getting used to my new bifocals and find all-nighters a much greater challenge than in the days of my misspent youth - it also has its rewards. 

I wanted to take this moment to thank my wife Kathy for a decade of love, support and organizational skills: my life is much the better because of her and I couldn't ask for a better spouse and life partner. We've been together since the last century and I would gladly spend the next hundred years with her if the fates allow.

I'd also like to thank my fellow denizens of this little corner of the blogosphere. The exchanges I've had on here have helped to sharpen my thoughts and strengthen my ideas.  Respectful disagreement and scholarly debate may be dying arts for many, but my readers haven't yet received the death notice.  I am blessed by those who agree with me and by those who offer intelligent arguments and alternatives to some of my conclusions.  Thank you all for everything.

As the Grateful Dead once said, "What a long, strange trip it's been." Here's hoping the longest and strangest part is yet to come. 

6 comments:

Rufus Opus said...

Dude, I swear to god I thought you were 19. 23, tops.

A freaking brilliant 19-23 year old, granted, but damn. 40-freaking-5?

It's your picture, the thumbnail size one doesn't show any wrinkles. And the bald seems to help a lot too. I'm totally remembering that for when I get longer in the tooth.

Happy Birthday!

Gordon said...

Nice one! Happy birthday and such.

Whenever I think about the drawbacks of age, I remember I quote from somewhere (it angers me I can't remember exactly where): "Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Not that I'm calling you old. :)

Hope you had a great birthday.

Balthazar said...

Happy Birthday Kenaz - looking good!

Robert said...

Happy B-day!

I too am amazed by the strong content of conversation and comments. I've been doing this for over a couple of years now and only had two rude comments from two folks that I've never heard from before or since.

Some day, I'd like to vacation back east and make a point of meeting you, RO and seeing Jason again.

Again, I hope you enjoyed your day.

Deborah Castellano said...

Happy birthday, K! As Dar Williams says, oh you're aging well!

Unknown said...

Blessings on your Birthday!

Post a Comment