Friday, October 12, 2012

DBTWP #7C: And if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao...

Replying to DBTWP #7A, whatsername said:
See, the things that The Professor is talking about, is not what I'm talking about in my comment, and isn't the way I've seen other white people mean when they say "reverse racism" (which I've seen the most of in discussions about affirmative action/ethnicity based scholarships and the like).
If anyone wants to come in and discuss how they experienced reverse racism because of affirmative action and ethnicity-based scholarships, they are welcome to do so.  I will listen to their accounts seriously and provide what thoughts I can.  I will not question their experiences, but I reserve the right to be critical of actions and assumptions or point out ways they may have handled the situation better.  They may find those thoughts valuable and applicable to their situation.  Or they may disagree completely and find other venues.  It's a free Internet.

On Facebook James Jones made this comment.
I think that it goes to the idea of the "other". Many people treat their "other" badly. When a PoC does it to a white person it isn't institutional but it is something that white people experience on a daily basis. Also, as you pointed out, the idea of bigoted, prejudiced, and racist meaning three very different things is an extremely fine hair to split for most people. 
"Othering" is an excellent term for much of what I have seen reported as "reverse racism."  It's that moment when you become conscious you are reduced to an object, to somebody else's idea of what, not who, you are. It's an uncomfortable feeling, and when you're part of the majority culture it's something you don't often experience. And when you are in a racially tense situation -- and I think most would agree there is a great deal of racial tension in contemporary America -- it's easy to look at someone on the other side and see The Enemy.

So I don't find it all surprising that people of color and white people experience mutual feelings of hostility and suspicion on a daily basis.  And I think it's worthwhile for everybody to talk about those feelings honestly and with the expectation they will be heard.  "Being heard" doesn't mean unconditional agreement.  But it does mean that you can speak without being told that your experience never happened because it cannot happen and you are a racist for even thinking it happened.

Returning to whatsername:
And I absolutely do think we should talk about the kinds of thing you're talking about Professor, in the context of inter-racial relationships those sorts of things are really important. That is NOT what I was talking about in my comment that Kenaz is responding to. I was talking about the Tufts survey and similar things to that. Not about dismissing personal stories out of hand, but about hearing them and having the conversation about them in a critical/analytic/knowledge producing way. That's not always going to mean the story is patently ridiculous. The Professor's surely isn't. But that Tufts survey? Yes, yes it is.
So the Tufts survey is "patently ridiculous."  How so? What specific problems do you have with its methodology? Bear in mind that "We should ignore this survey because I don't like the results" is not a specific problem with methodology.  At least not with the survey's methodology. The survey was measuring white beliefs on discrimination: it was not concerned with whether or not this discrimination is real but whether it was perceived as real.  You may say the beliefs which the survey reported accurately (or within a reasonable margin of error) are patently ridiculous.  But that still doesn't speak to the fact that they are widely held and thus need to be addressed.

If I am hearing you correctly, you are concerned because I am willing to let white people talk about their experiences of "reverse racism" instead of cutting them off at the pass and telling them there is no such thing.  The fact that I provided excerpts from and links to two different pages laying out the problems with the term seems unimportant.  Simply opening the discussion is enough to make my motives questionable.
But the way I'm reading this series, and the whole "Don't be that White person" idea, is that this isn't about challenging people in a real way, it's just about informing them about things that might piss other people off, which in my view teaches them how to avoid those things, but I don't really know if it at all develops an understanding about why those things are important enough to piss people off in the first place, particularly if we're not going to challenge misconceptions and RACISM inherent in -some- of the responses one is surely to get about a topic like "reverse racism". And that concerns me.
Another comment from James Jones sums up what I am trying to do with reasonable accuracy.

When someone is learning table manners they don't have to know that the reason one doesn't put one's elbow's on the table is because in the middle ages one didn't have as much room as we do now at the dinner table and putting your elbows on the table deprived people of much needed room to eat. You just need to know not to put your elbows on the table. 
Not all of us have any interest at all in becoming activists or allies or are activists in completely different areas. Some of us just want to know the inter-racial equivalent of which fork is the right one for salad so we can learn it, use it, and get on with our lives. No personal transformation, no racial dark night of the soul, no deep introspection.
I have no intention of making DBTWP a list of "Dos" and "Dont's" for being a Good White Person.  In fact, I want to make it very clear that it is up to the individual person of color to say what is or is not racist.  If a POC complains about your statement or action, you know at the very least that you have made this individual uncomfortable and you should avoid this behavior in their presence in the future. And if this person gives you information as to why it is offensive, or you hear similar complaints from multiple POCs, you may want to consider avoiding this behavior altogether.  This means listening to criticism and acting upon it. Because in the end the only way to not be "That White Person" is to be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others.

Frankly, I think the "consciousness-raising" school of activism has all the strengths and weaknesses of its Maoist antecedents.  Before anyone thinks I've gone all Fox News, let me note that the Communist Party's record on the civil rights movement was exemplary and its contributions to the struggle greatly underappreciated.  But consciousness-raising has been co-opted by the bored bourgeois for decades.  It has largely become Anti-Racism Performance Art that makes the white folks feel virtuous but does little else.  Besides that, I have an inherent distaste for systems which raise your consciousness by browbeating you with slogans until you admit the error of your ways. So while I acknowledge this school has many strengths and use it as a model for dealing with racism, I do not consider it the only or even necessarily the most desirable one.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

what's the Tufts study? I like studies. :)

whatsername said...

(1/2) I have no problem with the Tufts survey itself, I think it is invaluable, and I'm incredibly glad it was done. I do have a problem with what the Tufts survey reveals about how white people view and understand discrimination in this country. Just to reiterate what I said a few comments ago at this point: the prevailing belief of white people that they are more discriminated against than Black people is what I find ridiculous, because it displays a profound ignorance. And while I am very interested in talking to individual white people about their experiences with discrimination and while I would not generally dismiss what they have to say out of hand, these results still deeply deeply trouble me, which is what I’ve been speaking to (in part).

These results point to a growing (or at least maintaining) phenomenon of fundamental misunderstanding by white people about the state of the world and an ever widening disconnect between white people and people of color in mutual understanding of each other’s real lived experience. This is very disturbing not only because of the ignorance on display but because that ignorance is regularly glossed over by the idea that the world is now "post-racial," a belief fed by a shit ton of narratives from the relegation of Civil Rights movements as ending in the 60s to the "proof" of USian post-racial-ness through Obama's election.

I'm not interested in "brow-beating" people, but I do think that as part of open discussions about people's lived experiences, if we don't incorporate some sort of critical analysis, if we don't educate/share our knowledge about the way the world is actually working right now, then these discussions will end up re-centering Whiteness/white experience, those white people will feel validated in their beliefs, and the white supremacist order will not be interrupted or challenged and will continue unabated.

And this is why I find this comment: "No personal transformation...no deep introspection" so wrong. Deep introspection is vital. Not just for white people but for everyone. I mean maybe these phrases don't mean the same thing to the person who wrote them as they do to me, but from my perspective, if someone wants to sit down and have some "deep talk" about their experiences but they're not willing to go deep about considering how they are also part of a system harming others, that's just causing all kinds of alarm bells to go off in my head. Because like I said, that's recentering Whiteness, and Whiteness gets enough center-stage action without purposefully adding to that even more.

whatsername said...

(2/2) And look, in my own personal activist work I absolutely engage seriously with other white people, taking that very risk of re-centering Whiteness, because I think it's so important for us to understand Whiteness as a social construct that we are a part of whether we like it or not, and ALSO that we have the power to CHALLENGE it (even in really easy ways) if we choose to. Like all systems of power, the privileged are FUCKED UP by that system even as it privileges them; in other words, ending white supremacy isn't just about making a better world for POC but for white people too, which, if one needs a personal benefit to know why they should be doing something, there it is (and I will set aside my feelings about that dynamic, one that I think is complicated and deeply fucked up).

The part that you are misreading about my argument is that I'm not talking about cutting someone off at the pass. I fully support the idea of talking out these things in detail, about hearing a person out fully, but at SOME POINT, in SOME WAY, we've also got to challenge views that hold up white supremacy. That is what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying seems lacking thus far from your analysis and prescription for how to have these conversations and why we should be having them, as I'm reading it. Your motives aren't totally clear to me. I thought I understood them earlier on, but it has become murkier as your methodology and goals for these conversations has become, to me, less clear. What are the purposes of these conversations? What are your ideal outcomes? How do you see such conversations functioning in the larger racial discourse in this society? These are the things I've been trying to figure out as I've read and now commented. If the desired outcome is simply for white people to “feel heard” or something, that’s just not at all satisfactory to me as a white anti-racist/anti-kyriarchal person.

I think I agree with you about consciousness raising, I'm not sure if you were implying that is what you see me advocating for, but I don't personally think that's what I'm advocating for. What I am advocating for is an application of/engagement with critical thinking to and an anti-white-supremacist framework for the discussions you're talking about here. I am definitely advocating for some deep talk, not just letting white people get off their chest how discriminated against they feel or teaching them how to appear to be not racist, but to actually find a way to compassionately/mindfully challenge their white supremacy in the context of a discussion of their perceptions of/experiences with discrimination, "reverse racism," or whatever. These conversations are hard work, but doing that work is the only way I see of working against this system, and because people are literally dying from that system, that seems like really important work to be done.

Jim Jones said...

@whatsername

"And this is why I find this comment: "No personal transformation...no deep introspection" so wrong. Deep introspection is vital. Not just for white people but for everyone. I mean maybe these phrases don't mean the same thing to the person who wrote them as they do to me, but from my perspective, if someone wants to sit down and have some "deep talk" about their experiences but they're not willing to go deep about considering how they are also part of a system harming others, that's just causing all kinds of alarm bells to go off in my head. Because like I said, that's recentering Whiteness, and Whiteness gets enough center-stage action without purposefully adding to that even more. "

I think this is where we part ways. I have no interest or desire nor do I see any personal(as opposed to universal) use in a deep talk about race, equality, or pretty much anything else right now.

I'll be blunt. Right now I'm chin deep in a crisis of faith. I'm using all of my deep talks and introspection trying to figure out if I can be Buddhist, coping with some serious questions that I can't answer, and a laundry list of stuff that I have no interest in going into right now.

I'm guessing from what you have said thus far that activism in this area is what you do and I respect that. Your work is valuable and significant. However, much like I can't do that work right now(and, as you pointed out, it is hard work) there are a lot of other people who can't do the work either. If you set the bar at "clinical depression inducing soul searching" or nothing you won't get a whole lot of takers. If you don't believe me, look at how many people have taken the path you are talking about as opposed to the people who are muddling along doing the best they can with their lives.

Not everyone is willing or even able to dedicate as much time and effort as you are to the cause. Sometimes how not to appear racist is the best people can do. And I'm deeply sorry about that.

Post a Comment