Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Clarifications re Pantheacon's Dianic Lilith Rite

I have spoken with people who are close to both CAYA Coven and Pantheacon organizers.  Based on what I have heard so far, it appears that this all started out as a misunderstanding and miscommunication. While there is a lot of public ranting going on, there is a lot of discussion between the parties. Serious efforts are being made on all sides to discuss these issues respectfully and avoid similar incidents. Alas, things have now taken on a life of their own, and outside parties have come in to offer their opinions on the subject.

Z Budapest's opinions are her own and do not reflect those of CAYA or Pantheacon: if I have conflated them, or if I have not made that distinction clear enough in my posts, I apologize.  While I disagree with her opinions and with the language she used, I respect the contributions which Budapest has made to our community. I hope that she rethinks her position, or at least her language. This incident is an ugly blot on a remarkable record of service, dedication and courage: I hope it does not become one of the defining moments of her public career.

Amidst all this brouhaha, I also note that people are talking about gender identity, gender liminality and gender-as-spectrum -- ideas which a few people obviously find threatening and which most rarely consider. Comfort levels are being tested and weaknesses are being exposed. That is about what I would expect after a visit from Lilith, so perhaps the ritual was more successful than anybody hoped.