- the Haitians made a pact with the devil in 1791
- the Haitian president neglected to make an appropriate sacrifice when he visited Benin
- Boukman Dutty called on the lwa for help rather than Allah
- Indian Ocean earthquake/tsunami, 2004. Over 200,000 people were killed in India, Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
- China earthquake, 1976. Between 250,000 and 650,000 people killed in Tangshan
- Lisbon earthquake, 1755. Over 50,000 people killed in Lisbon: extensive carnage also reported in much of north Africa.
While we're on this line of reasoning: why did the Higher Power see fit to destroy San Francisco in 1906, several decades before those godless homosexuals moved in? And while I have heard that S/He was upset with New Orleans in 2005, I'm not sure what the folks in Galveston did that led to a Cat 4 hurricane wiping out their city in 1900.
Let's face it, folks: natural disasters happen because we reside on a living planet. We can ask why the gods allow these things to happen, or we can assume that They put us here to take care of those who get caught up in the chaos. The first allows us to shirk our responsibility for our fellow human beings: the second puts the burden squarely on our shoulders.